INVITRO STUDIES OF NATURAL THERAPEUTICS OF UGANDA PROGRAM (INVONAT)
PI (Prof. Kaleebu Pontiano)
Co-PI (Dr. Jacqueline Kyosiimire Lugemwa)
In-vitro Studies of Natural Therapeutics Of Uganda (INVONAT) Program was established at Uganda Virus Research Institute (UVRI) in Entebbe. The Program is funded by the Government of Uganda through STI-OP under the Pathogen Economy/ PRESIDE Projects.
To Lead with Excellence in Conducting Invitro Studies on Natural Therapeutics in Uganda.
To Conduct Invitro Safety and Efficacy Studies on Natural Therapeutics for the Purpose of Supporting Early drug Stages.
- Service above self
- All Guided by Evidence Based Scientific Research.
Our mandate is to study Invitro Capacity of Natural Products approved by the Ministry of Science and Technology Innovations- Office of the President (STI—OP). This process generates the data to inform innovators, animal studies and Clinical Trials of Natural Therapeutics of Uganda Program (CONAT) on the quality of products. For approved products STI-OP coordinates and sends products from the innovators to us (INVONAT) at UVRI.
Determine the In-Vitro Safety and Efficacy of Natural Therapeutic Products in Uganda.
Current and Running
- To determine bacterial/ fungal sterility of the natural products.
- To determine the in-vitro anti-viral activity of natural products.
- To determine the in-vitro cytotoxicity of the natural products.
- To determine the in-vitro anti-bacterial activity of the natural products.
- To determine the in-vitro anti-fungal activity of the natural products.
For successful products, to design experiments that will contribute to other mechanism identification (Such as to assess presence of ACE2 blockers (proteins that prevent the SARS COV2 from binding the ACE2 receptor)/ ACE2 Decoys.
In the Pipeline starting FY 2023/2024
To Conduct Invitro Therapeutic Studies Addressing Non-Communicable Diseases and Disorders affecting Underdeveloped and Developing Countries by including Therapeutics like:
- Develop Protocols and SOPs
- Carry out bacterial/ fungal sterility analysis tests for samples from innovators
- Carryout cytotoxicity assessment for those products from innovators
- Conduct Antiviral analysis for the products
Recent Impact /Achievements by the department/unit
1.Various products from innovators have been successfully analyzed and results have been disseminated.
- Govt of Uganda through Ministry of Science and Technology Innovations,- Office of the President (STI—OP)
- Herbal Innovators
- UCSF-QBI Collaborative Support