- UVRI actively engages in training. All departments and partners have a training component which includes on the job training, internship programmes and projects for undergraduates and post graduates to build future leaders. UVRI also has a training committee.
- The internship programme is coordinated by a training committee of 16 members, headed by a chairperson. The UVRI programmes are represented on this committee. Under training at UVRI is the Makerere/UVRI Infection and Immunity Research Training Programme (MUII). The MUII aims to contribute to research capacity building by providing exposure to world class science for school leavers, undergraduates, Masters, PhD and post doctoral fellows. It also contributes to research through mentoring postdoctoral scientists to progress to positions of leadership.
Training opportunities under the capacity building programme include:
- PhD and post doc
- Short courses
- Undergraduate internships
- Opportunities for school leavers
- Open day on science. Two such days have so far been held—2009 and 2013. We will strive to have more such opportunities. For more information, please visit our website at www.muii.org.ug
Other UVRI projects and partners such as the EDCTP funded EACCR-2, The Wellcome Trust funded ThriVe, the NIH funded H3A bionet and the MRC/UVRI and LSHTM Uganda Research Unit offer training opportunities as well.
The UVRI continues to work with various education institutions to place their students for internships. These institutions include:
- Makerere University
- Kyambogo University
- Nkumba University
- Uganda Christian University
- Ndejje University
- Kampala International University
- Busitemba University
- Nsamizi Training Institute
- Muteesa I Royal University
- Medicare Health Professionals College
Young Men Christian Association (YMCA)